Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Sorry to bother you....

Did I miss a meeting?

Every other patient today has been "Sorry to bother me..."

I didn't think I was that irrascible, but a steady stream of recurrent depressives have been sorry to bother me with the impedimenta of their several causes of distress. A couple of chaps were similarly apologetic when presenting with "lumps" that were reassuringly non-malignant, and a lady who might be pregnant, reassured that her right flank pain was only muscular was "very sorry" for wasting my time.

All this sorrow is driving me quietly mad.

As often happens I have had the company of a Medical Student today. I want them all-- the students that is-- to see me as as dear old avuncular Dr J, the peoples friend. Instead, with all these people so sorry to have taken up my valuable time, I'm guessing I'm coming across much more "Simon Cowell" or "Alan Sugar". And I haven't even fired anyone in weeks.

(And even then they resigned and it was nothing to do with me really, just a case of artistic differences that had driven the members of the band apart....)

I think it must be the smart grey suit and somber tie. Well now we've unpacked properly I might be able to wheel out some zanier neckwear for the 'morrow.

If all else fails I could use it to throttle the first person who's sorry to trouble me!

9 comments:

David said...

Cravatte and smoking jacket. It has to be.

Anonymous said...

I bet it isn't you - if I said 'sorry to bother you' to my doctor at this time, it would be
a) because I was well aware of the parlous state of the NHS, and
b) because I liked and respected and possibly felt sorry for the nice, hard-working GP in such a sorry business.

But yes, it might possibly be because you closely resemble Alan Sugar. I bet not though.
And I doubt you'd be able to write the way you do if you weren't the sort of chap I'd like quite as much as my current doctor, who is excellent.

Doctor Jest said...

greavsie-- I'm aiming for approachable here, not creepy old "uncle".....

cath-- glad to hear you have such a great GP. And thank you for those kind words. I'm feeling better already ;-)

steveg said...

Hey it's got to be better than the "I pay your wages" response from a patient!

Steve

Doctor Jest said...

steve-- I guess so. Don't seem to get that one much in these parts, but that may have a lot to do with the SEC of my regulars....

Anonymous said...

But one only gets 'I pay your wages' when someone's angry with you, don't you?

Dr Jest, none of my business, tell me to bugger off, but do you get S.A.D. at all? I know a job in the NHS isn't inclined to make you caper about in a jolly style from sheer joy, but your posts have reminded me of one of my best friends, who also gets S.A.D..
Just a bit concerned for you. As I say, tell me to mind my own beeswax, I shan't mind.

Doctor Jest said...

Anon-- thanks for the concern. Don't think I have a problem that way right now, but you never know... Thanks for stopping by whatever the reason.

Anonymous said...

Can you not choose to wear casual clothes? Is it NHS law to wear a suit? Ugh.

I love my GP's trendy chinos and denim shirts..and mocassins..he always looks so relaxed. And friendly. Of course, I am sure you ARE friendly..*coughs*...whatever the attire..

Doctor Jest said...

Wendz-- not so much law as convention, but it's difficult to break away from. And I don't think any self respecting Englishman would turn up to work in Moccasins in October-- bit to wet in these parts I fear. In fact wet enough to start cannoeing to work right now.